Friday, January 27, 2012

I like it quiet, I like to shout

I know things have been a little quiet around here lately but it's not from a lack of knitting or spinning.  Quite the opposite in fact.  Unfortunately I've been doing a lot of knitting & spinning without much progress to show for it. 


I've finally finished most of the individual pieces & parts of my Central Park Hoodie & recently picked up the stitches for the hood.  I was making good progress on the hood at first but couldn't figure out why the cable crosses in the center of the hood were out of sync with the cable crosses along the edge of the hood.  Throughout the rest of the pattern, all 4 cable crosses had happened on the same row.  It wasn't until I'd knitted 5" that I realized that I should not have continued the center cable pattern up the hood at all!  At that point, I just wasn't about to rip all that out so I had to take a break from the CPH for a few days while I strategized about how to fix this problem.  I think I've come up with a suitable solution & I'll share the outcome upon completion...whenever that winds up being.  


While I love the idea of knitting sweaters & covet so many of the beautiful knitted sweater patterns I see, I'm finding it hard to keep my focus on this pattern for the length of time it's demanding.  At this point in the project, I'm making way more mistakes than I usually do.  For example, there are at least 2 cables that I crossed in the wrong direction & I just plain forgot a cable cross 2 rows ago so I have to rip those rows back.  As Paula Abdul so famously said, it's two steps forward & two steps back.
My other long-term project is a spinning project using the fiber & spindle I bought at last year's Madrona Fiber Arts Festival.  I got a killer deal on 8oz. of Ferndale Fiber's Potluck Roving in the Pumpkin Spice colorway & decided I was going to spin it into fingering weight 2-ply.  Which was a brilliant idea until I added the part about how I was going to do it on my drop spindle.  Now it's almost a full year later & this is the one skein I've managed to spin & ply.  There's no doubt that it's beautiful & turning out exactly as I'd hoped it would.  The only concern is that, at the ripe old age of 30, will I live long enough to spin & ply the rest of it, then knit the Citron it's intended for?

The one project I have made progress on is the final Xmas present I mentioned at the beginning of this month.  I finally blocked it last night & it's almost dry enough to put the finishing touches on. And yes, that is in fact a straight pin helping to block this garment.  It's so big that I used up all my blocking pins about 2/3 of the way through!
Hopefully next time I'll have some real progress to post about.  In the meantime, I'll leave you with some photos of the uncharacteristically wintery weather that brought Seattle to a complete standstill for 2 days last week.
     




1 comment:

juniperjune said...

ooh, that pumpkin spice yarn is beautiful! but yeah, 8oz is a LOT to spin on a spindle... my 4 oz projects take me months and months, and i don't have a wheel to distract me. bummer about your hood, but i'll be interested to see what your fix is!